Established in October 2019, the Carolina Latinx Center provides students, faculty and staff the opportunity to explore Latinx cultures, histories and traditions and to use that understanding to work across racial and ethnic communities in North Carolina, the country and the world. For faculty, staff and students who are engaged in research, teaching and/or service related to Latinx communities and issues, the Center connects them both with one another and with community partners.
Our commitment is not limited to our educational initiatives, community engagement, or scholarship, but in our mission and values to inspire understanding, appreciation, empowerment and advocacy of Latinx communities. From our campus-wide celebrations and recognitions of the richness of Latinx communities, to the one-on-one conversations with our students, we advance the University’s mission of teaching, research and public service and enhance the well-being of our broader community.
Since our founding less than three years ago, we have been able to imagine, build and institute several new programs. As we continue to form, we are pursuing additional funding avenues to continue to meet the demand of our community. El futuro es Nuestro. The Future is Ours.
- Diversity – We must begin our work of student development, scholarship, service and advocacy by first recognizing the vast diversity we represent at the Carolina Latinx Center. By centering the many ways we are different, we can celebrate what unites us and work towards the inclusion of us in all that we do.
- Empowerment – We believe it is essential to have a space where we can build scholarship outside of the classroom, provide community engagement and foster student development to share awareness about Latinx issues. Our environment is designed to create empowered leadership to further cooperation and partnership.
- Familia – Our familia is built and sustained by fostering deep connections between students, faculty, staff and the broader Chapel Hill community. We are committed to growing our impact by nurturing our familia into strong leaders who can advocate for Latinx issues across campus and within our communities.
- Innovation – The Carolina Latinx Center is set up to have a space where students and faculty can collaborate to generate innovative and original ways of learning. Key opportunities for collaborations include student leadership development, ways to serve our community more effectively and how to bring attention to the complexities of the Latinx identity and experience.
- Orgullo – Our Carolina Latinx Center members embrace and enter their spaces of service, scholarship, leadership and advocacy with strength and joy. We take orgullo in who we are, where we are from and where we plan on going.
Maximize Your Impact
$10,000 for 50 donors to Carolina Latinx Center
Veronica and Jon Flaspoehler ’08 will give $10,000 if 50 donors make a gift to the Carolina Latinx Center.
$2,500 for 25 more donors
When we surpass 50 donors to CLC, Maribel Carrion ’77 & ’86 will give an additional $2,500 if we get an additional 25 donors make a gift to the Carolina Latinx Center.
$25,000 for 25 donors
An anonymous donor will give $25,000 if 25 donors make a gift to Carolina Latinx Center
Congratulations Class of 2021
Groups shown in footage were quarantined together.
Leaderboard by Constituency Type